Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

My Minn Kota Power Drive will turn left and right but will

Customer Question

My Minn Kota Power Drive will turn left and right but will not drive, I hear a click when I try to turn on the prop, but no movement of the prop
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Last week the trolling motor would only turn , but not propel. after a few hours on the water it started to work. Now this morning I can turn the trolling motor left and right but can't get the prop to turn
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no, the boat is only 3 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

First, remove the prop from the motor. Then, if any fishing line is present, remove that. With the motor stowed, remove the lower of the two blots that hold the motor together. Inspect it for water or signs or rust or a burnt smell. If any of the 3 are noted, the motor will need to be opened and repaired. If none are noted, and there was line around the shaft, after you have removed the line, try the motor again. It may now run.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.