Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Have 1995 yamaha 130hp v4 outboard saltwater series motor.

Customer Question

have 1995 yamaha 130hp v4 outboard saltwater series motor. starts and runs but won't go faster than 8mph and 2500 rpm. had someone just clean the carbs. goes through fuel like crazy in short distances.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Can you remove the spark plugs and check the tips of them to see what color they are?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
believe it or not. one of the top spark plugs looks fresh like its not firing. the others are brown
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Well, that would be a reason to be down on power. Lets find out why. do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i believe so. the one with the red and black metal rods? i might be able to get a spark tester? let me know what i should do thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

If you can get a spark tester, that would be great. Yes the multimeter had the red and black leads with it.

What is the full model number of the engine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
um not sure and its dark outside. where would i find that?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Left hand side of the engine. On the swivel bracket.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
here is a pic of it. is that right?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Yes that is it.

can you get the meter and test the one clean plug?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i won't be able to do that tonight. it just got dark. i can in the morning. what could be the issue do you think? my friend took the carbs off and cleaned them then put them back on. I'm currently running the boat on an auxiliary tank b/c i think the water separator housing is corroded and fuel isn't flowing through it. Even after i replaced the water separator. Thought i have to say the the connection to the battery i think are good but sometimes when i turn the on and off dial to start the boat, the boat won't light up and i have to play with the terminal connections.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

No worries, thee no time limits here. Just reply back to me when you re ready

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello sir. what should i do next?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Ok, first remove that spark plug. Set the meter to read resistance. Touch one of the meter leads to the end where the spark plug wire goes on the plug. Touch the other meter lead to the threads on the spark plug. There should not be a reading there. then move the lead that was on the threads to the center electrode. What is the reading that you get there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
was able to find out it was the coil pack was bad. but now when i pump the ball primer no gas comes out of main tank. I'm going to remove and replace the water separator housing but it look like there is a small fuel pump on the housing? is that a fuel pump? or can i eliminate that?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

The fuel pump is located on the side of the engine block. If there is one on the boat fuel water sep filter, I have never seen that. Would not be a factory item. Can you post a pic of that?