Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

2003 or 04 Yamaha xlt 1200 waverunner won't go over 3 mph! I

Customer Question

2003 or 04 Yamaha xlt 1200 waverunner won't go over 3 mph!
I had an oil line come off of carb 2 burnt the cylinder. Put new piston and cylinder, inspected all oil lines, and replaced all zip ties new. Took the bike out ran fine for an hour, then I jumped a wake and when I landed it started chattering and died. Got it to start and run but it grits loudly and wont get over 3-5mph. PLEASE HELP.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I suggest inspecting the pump tunnel and impeller. You are looking for any signs of physical damage or play in the drive shaft bearings.

Since the engine has good compression, it leads me to believe the problem is in the pump or drive line for it. If need be, you can take the spark plugs out, the cover off the coupler and turn the crank/drive line by hand to see if you feel the same grittiness while turning it that you hear when running it.

Let me know what you find.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Just following up on this issue. Have you made any headway on it or is there any additional questions I can answer for you? If so, let me know.