Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2005 champion bass boat with a verado 225 motor on

Customer Question

I have a 2005 champion bass boat with a verado 225 motor on it. I ran the boat for a few days with no problem at all, and the last day at the lake I started the motor. Fired right up. Tried to put in into forward and nothing. Back to neutral and forward a few times with no reaction. I put it into reverse and it engaged. Once in reverse it wouldn't get out of reverse. I shut it off then it wouldn't start. The motor cranks but will not fire. Says "check engine, shift act" or something like that. we took of the engine cover when we got it out of the water and it seams that the shift actuator is stuck in reverse. We pushed on the arm and was enough to disengage to neutral. The motor started right up. Still wont go into forward. It will get stuck once you put the lever in reverse. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

do you use this in fresh or salt water?

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello charles,fresh water only. I don't have the serial number off hand. I am trying to see if anyone is home that can take the pic.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

If they are going to set a pic. Have them try and get one off where the shift shaft goes thru the mount cradle. It can be seen from the same side of the engine as the serial number.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. its not looking good. so i might have to get back to you on this. I have never used this site before.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

No worries, there are no time limits here. You can reply back to me at any time. I am an actual Mercury tech and have been working on the Verado since it was released.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just from reading what I wrote do you have any ideas?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Yes, the shift shaft could be binding at a bushing just under the powerhead. Seen more often of salt water boats, but can happen to fresh as well. Or you could have an issue inside the gear case.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
got it. Ok thank you. ***** will probably get back to you on monday. Going out of town straight after work.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

You can check it to see if it is really loose by shaking the engine pretty hard side to side and listen inside the drive shaft housing. There shouldn't be any clinking inside it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Forgot to tell you. A buddy checked the voltage to the shift actuator and he said it wasnt getting power except for when he put shift lever into the reverse position.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Well that will change things a bit.

I will need two things. The HIN from the boat, and the engine serial number. I can do some checking on some old bullitens

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sounds good.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Talk to you later.