Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Mercruiser 383 bravo II stern drive twins. Had soft alarm,

Customer Question

Mercruiser 383 bravo II stern drive twins. Had soft alarm, at low speed in no wake zone. Aka several beeps every 2 mins or so. Alarm went away on its own. Next time I took the boat out I noticed the engines would not go above 2700 rpms ( both engines), even with throttles wide open. Tested engines in neutral and I was able to push the rpms past 3800 wth no issue. Low rpms kept boat form getting on plane. Not sure what would cause both engines into limp mode. The only thing I know that is shared by both engines is power steering. I have a tech coming out in two weeks to pull codes, just tr g to save money and Tim if it is something simple. Please help. Side note, I have to pull the boat out of the water to replace a trim drive Cylinder that has blown a seal.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Guess I stumped you all? No response.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

No... we are not stumped. The beeping every 2 minutes is the engines equivalent of the "check engine" light going off, but in alarm form. The next step is to hook the engine up to a scan tool to see what is causing the alarm. Most folks don't like it when we tell them that they have to either buy a scan tool to pull codes and see what is causing the alarm, or when we tell them to take it to the mechanic/dealer to have the engine scanned to pulled codes. But it is what it is. Did you have any specific or general questions for me, or did you want to call it quits?