Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have an 03 rxdi. Sister was riding around 25-30 mph and

Customer Question

I have an 03 rxdi. Sister was riding around 25-30 mph and there was a long beep then the engine lost power and died. I tried to start it on the water and it felt and sounded like it was seized. Towed it to the trailer and the next day out of curiosity, I tried to start it. It started but sounded like it was knocking. Another 2 second beep and about 2 minutes of flushing with water hose. It died again and wouldn't turn over. Clicking when pushing the starter but it wouldn't turn over.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Remove the spark plugs, and look at the tips of then. If they all appear to have the same color, light tan, do a compression test on the engine. You would be looking to make sure that all cylinders are close to even in numbers. One cylinder that is very low, would indicate an issue with that cylinder. If one or both of the plugs have embedded metal on them.. the engine would require a rebuild.