Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a starter question. 2008 Yamaha 150 I had starter

Customer Question

I have a starter question.
2008 Yamaha 150
I had starter issues defined as a starter unit that would engage the flywheel, but with too little UMPH to turn it.
First remedy was to check all connection to make sure they were tight and a new battery which regardless of the ultimate fix, was overdue. NO effect.
I tested to see if I was getting full voltage to the starter which was at 12.7.
Right or wrong, I next assumed the starter considering it was 8 years old. I replaced that.
With a fully charged new battery & tight, clean connections, a secured lanyard and neutral throttle, I hit the key. This time, a slight improvement in that I got clicking (absent before), but still would not turn over.
All connections for the new starter are tight as well.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Did you measure the voltage at the starter with the key held to start and the starter cranking over? The reason I ask is 12.7V would be unexpectedly high. When measuring voltage at the starter, with the starter activated, you would typically read 10 to 11V, as there is always some voltage drop when the starter is engaged.