Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

How to do you test boat starter 8 cylinder : I would like to

Customer Question

how to do you test boat starter for mercruiser 8 cylinder
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I would like to know how to remove the starter
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: engine is frozen and can not crank, what type of battery do i used, the number on the starter is Bestest 83-0485X below the sticker is 73ll5333, how would a used engine or new would cost
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The best way to test a starter is to have it installed on the engine and crank it. If you pull the starter off and just put voltage to it it will spin but that isn't a load.

What seems to be your issue?

Low voltage to the starter is the most common issue for a starter when it won't turn engine over.