Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1999 50hp outboard, on a pontoon. It's not charging

Customer Question

I have a 1999 50hp Johnson outboard, on a pontoon. It's not charging the battery, the tach doesn't work, and none of the other dash gauges work. I replaced the rectifier, no help. Then I found a shorted wire in the engine (orange wire). Taped that up. Still no tach, and not charging the battery. Could I have installed the rectifier wrong? Or is there something else I should look at?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Mark, my name is Jason.

Can I start by getting the model number on the engine.

Next, do you have a hand held volt/ohm meter that will read accurately below 1 ohm of resistance?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Instead of this phone. Please text(###) ###-#### Model j50pLeea. Yes. I have a voltmeter & ohm meter.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Mark, we do not work on text here, only through the website.

Start by disconnecting the 2 yellow wires from the regulator, set your meter to resistance. Measure the reistance between the 2 yellow wires and let me know what you get for a reading.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
0.05 ohms
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jason, sorry for the delay. 1st ohm meter won't work, had to find backup. Reads 0.05 OHMs.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Is that .05 or .5?

More importantly, is your meter good quality, and do you trust it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I trust the meter. My skills are rusty. I have the meter set to x1000, and it reads 50. So that makes 0.05, right?
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Does your meter have a less than 1000 range? It needs to accurately read 1 ohm or less. Your meter would either need to be autoranging or have a scale less than 1. What kind of meter are you using?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a Triplet brand meter.
If I set it to 1 OHM, the needle barely moves.
If I set it to .1 OHM, the needle barely moves.
If I set it to .01 OHM, the needle moves a little.
If I set it to .0001 OHM, it moves to 50.Does this mean 50,000 OHMS? Or .05 OHMS?
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Is this an analog meter? Do you happen to have a part number on it so I can look it up and see exactly what you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it's analog.
I used to be a tech for IBM, and this is the meter they gave me. The part number on it is an IBM number, Triplett probably made a special batch just for IBM.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think I did the math the wrong way ... the real resistance it 50,000 OHMs
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you there? It's been three hours!I borrowed a digital meter. It indicates no continuity between the yellow wires.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I am here now, I do apologize for the delay but I am a contractor, not an employee of the website. I do this as a side job in between real jobs. I've had a fairly busy day today.

If the digital meter is indicating an open circuit the stator is going to be bad. There 2 yellow leads should read roughly .5 of 1 ohm to about 2 ohms. If you are getting an open circuit, the stator coils are burnt out, and that is the cause of the no charging. Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please explain what the stator is, and what I need to do next.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

The stator is what makes the voltage necessary to charge the battery. It works in conjunction with the flywheel. The stator has many coils of wires wrapped around iron bars that make it up. The inside of the flywheel is a magnet. When you move a magnet very quickly against a coil of wire it will generate voltage. Click this link below to pull up a parts diagram.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1999/J50PLEEA/IGNITION%20SYSTEM%20--%20ELECTRIC%20START/parts.html

#8 is the stator. If you are going to try and DIY this you would need to remove the flywheel nut first, then pull the flywheel. This will expose the stator.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything I need to know about removing / replacing the stator or flywheel? Any alignment details, etc.?
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

You are going to need an impact gun to get the nut off. You will need a flywheel or automotive harmonic balancer puller to get the flywheel off. There is a shear key between the flywheel and the end of the crankshaft, you don't want to loose that, and you have to make sure that's in place when reinstalling the flywheel. Lastly, flywheels can be a bit stubborn to remove, so make sure you use grade 8 bolts on the puller.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
New issue! There are two pairs of yellow wires at the terminal block. I was checking the wrong pair. The wires that go to the stator read 0.5 OHM.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Those 2 yellow leads, the one you measured, should be the ones that go to rectifier. Were those the lead that go to the rectifier, or did you have other wires hooked up to the rectifier?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there are two yellow wires at position 5 of the terminal block, and two yellow wires at position 6.
At each position, one wire goes to the stator. I can't see where the other pair ends up, probably the rectifier.The ones I measured 1st probably go to the rectifier.The ones that go to the stator measure 0.5 OHMs.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Can you take a picture of your terminal block so I can see it. It sounds almost like it's not wired correctly.

On another note, I do have to run out. It is 430 pm my time, I will not be back in until closer to 7. We will have to finish this up then.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here's the terminal block.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Orig question included "Then I found a shorted wire in the engine (orange wire). Taped that up. Still no tach, and not charging the battery."
The arrow in this pdf shows the wire that was shorted. Can you identify this wire?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the exploded parts diagram, it looks like that wire connects the Power Pack to the Stator. Not positive.
How can I check to see if the power pack is working?The motor starts; the lights work; my depth finder works.
The gas gauge, tach, motor position indicator, and amp gauge do not work.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

If the engine runs the powerpack is working, if it was not working, you would have no spark.

That wire you have marked has an inline fuse in it, pull the boot apart and check the fuse, is it good or blown?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't find a fuse. Here's a pic.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The wire you have unplugged in the last pic is is the temp sensor wire.

Did you test the stator?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The stator has 0.5 OHMS across the two yellow wires.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This .jpg shows the purple/white wire that goes to the VRO. Does it have a fuse? How can i test the fuse? Just pull it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does that temp sensor wire have a fuse? It was shorted against the engine block. How can I tell if it's working now?
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

This engine only has one fuse and if it were blown the engine would do nothing.

How did you test the charging system after you replaced the rectifier?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The charging system started working in the last hour.
My test: before starting the engine, I checked and found 12 v across the battery terminals.
After starting the engine, the voltage across the terminals was under 11 volts.Now, it's 13.5 volts across the battery terminals.
I'm not sure what fixed it. I checked several grounds, all were OK.
I disconnected the rectifier, and connected it again.
I unplugged / re connected many connectors. One must have been a poor connection.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok does the tach work now and the other gauges are they working?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. I am out of time, and out of daylight, for today. I will get back to it tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok that's fine. I will be here.

Thank you.