Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Power trim on my 1994 outdrive wil trim up but will only

Customer Question

power trim on my 1994 outdrive wil trim up but will only trim about 1/3 of the way down. Fluid reservoir is full, pump and solenoid operated valves are working.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** i will assist you. The mercruiser outdrives are equipped with a trim limit switch that allows them to go up only that much from the trim switch. Then you should have another switch named TRAILER. This should take the outdrive all the way up. Kindly check if you have this switch and see if it is working and let me know.

Noel

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do have a trailer switch, but it has not functioned for several years although the other power trim functions have operated OK until now.

so if you have only the trim switch to take the drive all the way up then most probably the trim limit switch with the drive is not functioning. Here now you have two options, either bypass the trim switch that goes to the drive or else replace the trim switch. But if the boat is in the water it is easier to bypass the switch. Next to the pump you should have a 2 core black wire going to the drive. you would need to cut these two wires and bypass them (pump side not drive side) and the trim should function all the way up.

Noel

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My problem is not that the drive does not go all the way up. It is that the drive will not go all the way down.

Ok so you hear the pump running but the drives blocks itself from going down?