Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

We have a 2008 Larson SEI 180 Inboard...just had the engine

Customer Question

We have a 2008 Larson SEI 180 Inboard...just had the engine rebuilt. Going through the break in period...ran fine first hour or so but now the boat won't throttle properly...have to push the throttle forward a long ways to get the boat to accelerate...could it be a loose wire on the throttle control in the cockpit?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: just that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Which engine do you have in the boat?

How far forward are you having to push the throttle handle before the engine responds?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello. It looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Merc Cruiser 4.3 inboard....I believe its a loose throttle that needs to be you agree?Matt
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Matt,

I can't say just yet. Is this engine carbureted or fuel injected? Is the throttle handle itself loose at all?