Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a problem with where I would like to locate my boat

Customer Question

I have a problem with where I would like to locate my boat with a Mercury 150 Hp, 4 stroke outboard. The slips currently have a 100 Hp limit for boats at those slips. Is there anyway that I can restrict my engine to just operate at less than or equal to 100 Hp without
compromising the engine. Can the throttle be restricted? Can the intake be choked. I don't want to hurt my outboard while is is being used in this mode --- maybe 20 hours, maybe a little more maybe less. I was hoping that something could be attached which would not hurt the engine and could be removed later when I no longer have the restriction where I am moored.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jack, my name is Jason.

There is nothing you can do to the engine to restrict it's power output. The best you could do is come up with some kind of stop block so you can only push the throttle handle so far, but even that might not appease whoever is in charge of this limit. Your better bet would be to remove the stickers from the outboard so it doesn't say that it is a 150 on the side of it. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any other questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Dan, my name is Jason.

The buttons should just be up and down on the sterndrive, are they not?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you