Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I need an experienced yamaha outboard motor mechanic. I have

Customer Question

I need an experienced yamaha outboard motor mechanic. I have a 1992 Yamaha outboarrd Model C85TLRQ. I have recently had problems with over heat alarms. I changed the complete water pump assembly, the thermostat, the over heat alarm sensor and the pressure relief control. The engine still over heats & alarms. I cannot take the heads off the engine cause the bolts have never been taken off to my knowledge & I know they will break if I attempt it. What I want to know is there anything else I can do? Is there a solution or something I can run through the system to try & unclog the system?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Allen, my name is Jason.

Unfortuantely no, there is nothing you can run through the system other than water. Have you taken the engines temperature manually to confirm it is overheating, and that this isn't just a sensor issue? How hot is the engine getting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a thermoemter to measure - but its pretty hot to the touch. Can I run this engine without the thermostat & pressure control valve?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Definitely not, the engine will overheat without the thermostat and pressure control valve installed. The engine should run about 160. 190 or more would be considered to hot. I can't tell the difference from 160 and 190 with my hands, so I rely on an IR temp gun. IR temp guns are pretty short money at harbor freight type places. Can you get your hands on one?