Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2001 yamaha 150 vmax and I accidentally hooked up

Customer Question

i have a 2001 yamaha 150 vmax and I accidentally hooked up the battery charger incorrectly to the battery resulting fuse blow on the motor. The fuse that blew was an 80 amp one. the part number is ***** and when i installed another one it blew again. I have checked all my wiring and there seems to be no melting, etc. I do have voltage to the starter. Any idea where the surge me be coming from - bad starter after being hooked up wrong?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

When you hook up the battery wrong in addition to the fuse it usually blows the diodes in the voltage regulator. Try disconnecting the voltage regulator then reconnect the battery, turn on the key to the ON position and see if the fuse blows.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where would the voltage regulator be located? Is it the small rectangle box that the starter lead feeds into?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

#26 in the diagram on this page,

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

I wasn't on when the phone call request came through. Did you find the voltage regulator?