Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 40 hp etec motor on my pontoon boat...ser#05104103

Customer Question

I have a 40 hp etec motor on my pontoon boat...ser#05104103 E40DPLSOR...recently I was in the middle of the lake,shut off the engine for a few minutes then restarted,It would go into gear,both forward and reverse,but would not rev up past idle...took me two hrs to return to the dock ...Took the boat to the local dealer and he is scratching his head and his butt at the same time trying to solve the problem...please help...
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.

Has the shop put the computer software on the engine to check the parameters and trouble codes? If there are codes they will show on the printout. If there are no codes and all the parameters show normal then the problem would be in the fuel system.

For this you need to be able to monitor and test the fuel pressures.

Has any of this been done?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dont know about the computer as he was in the process of hooking it up this afternoon...so i'm uninformed from the start...77 year old men do not do computer stuff too well...the engine went back to doing full throttle at one time...then quit again...off and on ...off and on...
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.

Lets see where the diagnosis goes.

In my experience fuel restrictions and failing fuel pumps cause the type of problem you are describing if there is no trouble codes.

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.

I wasn't on when your request came in. Did you hear back from the shop?