Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a 1993 Marada 18' speed boat. Has a mercury alpha 1

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Marada 18' speed boat. Has a mercury alpha 1 4.3 motor in it. One owner , very well maintained. ran boat in drive way with water muffler on ran perfect for 15 minutes. Took out first time to the lake, started good, after 5 minutes decided to accelerate, carb acted like not getting through, would be fine at low idle. After 10 minutes of going slow it worked itself out and ran fast for about 7 minutes, heard an occasional back fire. then noticed it would only allow me to drive around slow idle. Any time I punched in the throttle it would cut out and want to die. Motor never died though. What do you think
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jim, my name is Jason.

I read what you wrote. Did you have any specific questions for me, or did you want me to explain what I think based on what you wrote?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning and sorry for the delay, we all do this on the side. When you replied back last night I was already off to bed.

A number of things can cause your issue. A weak fuel pump would cause those symptoms, clogged fuel filters would cause those symptoms, a clogged carb would cause those symptoms, bad gas would cause those symptoms. Where I would start is by changing all of the fuel filters first. If no luck, get a portable fuel tank, fill that up with fresh gas, hook that up to the engine on that. Are those things that you are able to do?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jim,

I tried to accept your request for phone service. The system says that your payment will not go through to authorize a phone call. Did you want to get that squared up with customer service? Or do you want to stay online?

Customer service can be reached at *****@******.***