Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I ran my 2006 90 HSP outboard with the following mixture 12

Customer Question

I ran my 2006 90 HSP Johnson outboard with the following mixture 12 gallons of oil to 12 ounces of oil by mistake. How much damage could I have done? The engine ran fine and is still running I used about 12 gallons of gas. Is there anything I should do?
31 May 2016 02:43
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The engine needs a 50 to 1 ratio. 12 ounces of fuel o 12 gallons of gas is closer to 130 to 1 fuel ration. Honestly at this point it is 50/50 as to wether or not there is any damage. All you can do is 2 things. 1, do a compression test. The cylinders need to be 90 psi or better, anything less means the rings wore out. And 2, listen to the side of the engine block with a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can hear any grinding from a bad bearing. If there is any noise the damage is done, and there isn't much you can other than deciding if you want to run it until it blows, or have it torn down and fix the problem now. Other that that, if compression does look good, and if there are no abnormal noises heard though the stethoscope, personally I would run it at 25 to 1 for the next couple of trips out. The engine will smoke quite a bit and the plugs will foul out, but that richer fuel mixture will help put a good coat of oil back into the engine. Does that all make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason