Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My 2012 30 HP Mercury outboard gave an alarm sound temp. I

Customer Question

My 2012 30 HP Mercury outboard gave an alarm sound for high temp. I shut the motor off,
waited, and then made it back to the landing running very slow, with out an alarm, and the water being pumped through the motor was not a normal amount, although there was a stream.
The boat and motor are now at an authorized Mercury dealer awaiting repair.
Is it normal for water pump impellers to deteriorate in this lenght of time? The boat is used about 30-40 hours a year max. If this motor was run with the alarm sound horn several seconds, and it was pumping some water, could there be other damage?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

For the impeller, yes it is normal for them to wear. they should be replaced every two years.

One thing that I have seen on this motor is that water a winter with a hard freeze and the motor was trimmed up, there could have been water trapped around the water tube and it froze, thus crushing the tube. you will still see a decent flow of water, but it is not enough to cool the motor at higher RPMs. Hopefully that is not the case with yours and it is just an impeller.

Any questions, please feel to reply to me.