Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2000 Fisher 241DLX Freedom pontoon boat. I need to

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Fisher 241DLX Freedom pontoon boat. I need to replace the steering cable. The boat is 6 hours away so I can't get the numbers off of the cable. Do you know what part I need? I want to buy one and take it with me on my next trip to the lake and replace it. Thanks
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Fisher pontoon boat part numbers
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Fisher brand boats went out of production years ago after they were bought by Tracker Marine. There would be no way to get you the correct part number for the cable without knowing what type of helm is in the boat. There are four different styles on helm that could be in the boat. then the issue of the length would be another. Your best and least expensive way, is to take a day or more, get to the boat and look for the numbers on the cable. This will actually save you money in the long run as you know that you are getting the correct cable.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You were of no help whatsoever. I thought you would have access to all boat repair and specification manuals. Like Chiltons manuals. You simply regurgitated information I already knew. Thanks for nothing. And It looks like the $5.00 charge has more than quadrupled?! So sorry I fell into your trap. I will be sure to put the word out about your scam to everyone I can
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thanks for the reply. Most boat manufactures do not produce a standard list of parts that they install into their boats, let alone one that is 16 yrs old. I have no way of knowing if a previous owner upgraded the steering when it was new or any where along the way. If you think about it, that would be almost like me asking you what brand of fishing line is installed on my 16 yr old fishing reel.

Sorry that you are not happy with the service, you may contact customer service at any time for a full refund, and be free of our "trap" as you call it.