Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 Sea Ray 320 with twin 6.2L inboards. Just had

Customer Question

Jason - I have a 2003 Sea Ray 320 with twin 6.2L inboards. Just had new plugs, rotor & cap, and wires installed. Running perfectly and I got a constant alarm, reduced rpms and for about 1 sec the panel said Stbrd ??
Temp and oil pressure were fine so I thought it was a intermittent spike of some kind. Went back up on plane (3500rpm) and ran for 15 min and it happened again - but everything seems fine. Do I have a fuel injector issue?
Ron Roland on the Chesapeake Bay
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Ron, my name is Jason.

Does your boat have smartcraft gauges?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No - just the monitor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Okay step 2 would be to have it hooked up to a scan tool to pull a code and see what is causing the alarm. Has that been done?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not yet.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

It would need to be done in order to find the true cause of the alarm. How is it I can be of help to you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It confirms I need to call a mercruiser mech who has the tester - my mechanic does not.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

The solid alarm is caused by engine overheat, low oil pressure, or if the ECM thinks either situation is happening because of a bad sensor, or a short in the wiring between the sensors and ECM. Throwing parts at the engine can get expensive quickly. And if it is a wiring problem vs a sensor problem throwing parts at it can simply be fruitless. If you had the Smart craft gauges we could pull a code out of that to get you pointed in the right direction. But without those gauges, or the scan tool, all we can do is speculate.

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

The website has charged you to speak with me. Is there anything I can help you with, or did you want to call it quits?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm done. Thanks