Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My 2002 H2X Boss 496 will not start coming out of

Customer Question

My 2002 H2X Boss 496 will not start coming out of winterization. When I turned the key initially I could hear the fuel pump kick off but then when I turned the key the engine would just spin. Now it does not do anything - I turn the key, it clicks and that's it. I hit the MAP sensor accidentally and now when I turn the key the alarm goes off and I can spin the engine...but no activity with the fuel pump. When I plug in my error reader in it seems like the code reader is in a loop and constantly starts over its start up process. Thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi John, my name is Jason.

Which code reader are you using. Do you have Diacom by chance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure I'm at work and the reader is in the boat. I believe it is a Diacom but Im not sure
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is odd that the fuel pump does not kick on anymore. It did at first and I did have fuel pressure. The reason I know this is that I removed the fuel filter to get to the water pressure sensor to make sure it was had a good connection. It did not due to a small fuel leak that sprayed gas on the connector. I cleaned it up and let it sit for a while then put everything back together. Reinstalled the fuel filter and no more leak.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Is there power to the fuel pump for approximately seconds each time the key is cycled from off to run?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I'm going to decline the phone call for now, I want to have a better idea of what is going on first. Have you tested for power at the fuel pump? What code reader are you using'?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not tested power to the fuel pump. I do not know what type of code reader I have since Im at work and the reader is home.Is there a reset for the fuel pump? If so where would it be?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

No there is no reset.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The reader is a Rinda - Mercruiser Code Reader. I tested the red and black wires going to the low pressure pump (residing on the fuel filter housing) for power when I turn the key. I am not getting power. I did swapped out the MAP sensor and now I can spine the engine without an alarm. One thing to note on the fuel pump not engaging when turning the key: I have spun the engine enough I would think to generate some oil pressure. The gauge is reading zero when cranking. Could this be a faulty oil pressure sensor? If so where would the oil pressure sensor be on this motor?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also coming out of winterization I did not have the Fuel filter completely tight. When initially starting the engine (and the fuel pump did work) I noted a fuel leak. I tightened the filter but gas did get on to and inside the water pressure sensor plug, socket, and wiring. I did dry off everything and yesterday took the sensor out to make sure it was dry. Could the fuel have shorted out the sensor and now it is no longer working? Perhaps I should replace that sensor first!!