Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1979 55hp outboard motor on our starfire. this

Customer Question

i have a 1979 johnson 55hp outboard motor on our starfire. this thing has been a fixer upper from the start. last year the motor would pretty much die after being ran too long, after is sat about 30 min or so. my uncle said the water pump needed replaced in the lower part of the unit. since he is currently 500 mi away, he walked my husband through replacing it. boat fired right up afterward but the battery was scalding hot so my husband changed a couple in line fuses that needed replaced and everything seemed a go. took it out on the water today, it ran perfect for about 10 min, then it started cutting itself off totally. it fired right back up a couple times but we decided to head for the dock bc something wasnt right, clearly. my husband heard a faint "rattle" coming from the motor but it was so faint that i couldnt hear it when he told me to listen to it. right after that it started cutting out and died completely. when he took the hood off it smelled like something was either very hot or had been melting/burning. there was also little metal shavings, dust, if you will, on the motor in the vicinity below the fly wheel and somewhat close to the starter. the fly wheel was also very hot. any ideas on what happened would be greatly appriciated bc its not turning over at all now. we are new to marine mechanics but we are trying to learn on this boat/motor. there is only one boat mechanic within 100 mi of us and he is slammed full so a professional is not an option at this point.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Can you remove the spark plugs and look at the tips of them. They should be tan to slightly black on color.