Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Recently bought a boat with 1998 Evinrude 225, took the boat

Customer Question

Recently bought a boat with 1998 Evinrude 225, took the boat out and noticed rpm's on initial take off not right. About 50 feet into trying to get up on plane it would feel like it caught another gear (not possible). Figured I would check it out later, well later turned into starter issues out on the lake and had to use trolling motor to get back. Got home, pulled cowling to get to the starter and found red+ wire from solenoid was to the ground at starter along with 2 small ground wires and the black- wire was to the power in stud on the starter.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Questions are:
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine model number please?

Can you take a picture of the wires that are messed up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model number is ***** already removed starter. No pics. The red wire from solenoid and 2 small ground wires were bolted to grounding stud on starter. The black neg cable coming from under the engine was to the pos stud on starter. Engine ran but not like it should. ordered new starter, the old one is shot. Tried to bench start it, would not throw Bendix out, new starter cheaper than rebuild around here.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Are you sure about where the wires were connected as how did you get the engine started isf the starter was connected incorrectly?

The way it should be is the 2 small reds and the positive battery cable connected to one side of the solenoid. Then from the other stud on the solenoid a wire runs to the insulated terminal of the starter. Then the black battery cable connects to the stud on the starter motor frame along with any of the other black wires.

Is this how it was connected?

Here is a pic of how the wiring should be

Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Saw this same pic earlier while I was researching to verify that it was indeed wired wrong. The 4 gauge red and black were reversed but the 2 smaller spades/ black wires were in the same location as the pic. Shouldn't have ran but it did, being a 2 stroke, I know they can run backwards. Question is, would it have started backwards with the starter power and ground reversed, looks like it should have caused all kinds of electrical issues.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

It should have check your battery cable connections on the battery maybe they are backwards.

If the engine started and ran backwards the engine would have over heated almost immediately and you would of had electrical issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All other connections are good, I am a heavy equipment mechanic. Not much exp on 2 stroke stuff. Checked all basic things first. Did not overheat, no electrical issues. Did not check and see if battery was charging while engine was running. Only seemed to have loss of power during trying to get up on plane, ran 72 mph once up.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok the way you check the charging system is check battery voltage before starting engine. The start engine check voltage at the battery with engine running at 1500 rpms. Do you have a difference in voltage?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't do it, no starter at this time. Ordered new one. Will not be here till end of week.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok we can pick back up when you get the starter back on. There are no time limits on the questions. So just post back here if you still need help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, do I just log back on and connect with you again?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Yes just post back as you have been.