Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1972 evinrude 125hp outboard with it firing on one

Customer Question

I have a 1972 evinrude 125hp outboard with it firing on one cylinder
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This can only be plug wires, rotor or distributor cap. Spark on one cylinder means the coil is working and the amplifier is good. The cap is where the spark is distributed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cap has the numbers right where they go, distributor cap only goes one way how do I find out what cylinder its firing on?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Do you have # ***** going to # ***** cylinder. That is the top cylinder on the stbd side of the engine.

If your getting fire on only one cylinder then you have another issue with the cap or the rotor.

Put a spark gap tester on # ***** cylinder wire crank engine it should fire. Did you torque the flywheel nut? Remove # ***** spark plug and use a pencil put pencil in spark plug hole turn flywheel till piston is at top of it's stroke. Then check the timing marks on the flywheel. Do they line up pointer and TDC?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks that will do it to get it running.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok let me know what you find if this doesn't get you going.

Thank you........Tan

Rating does no close the question and it doesn't cost extra to post back with more questions on this subject.