Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

What are the reasons that I could have water in the oil?

Customer Question

what are the reasons that I could have water in the oil? 2007 kawasaki ultra250x. dewinterized by starting engine and blowing out fogger. extacted oil, a little dirty but good viscosity, changed plugs and added fresh oil. Tried to crank over 2 days later but wouldnt start and drained battery down. Figured battery should be replaced. New Battery, still no start, cranked over sluggishly and clicking sound as if battery was dead. Checked oil, dipstick read way over full mark. Pulled out 1 quart of oil and 1/2 of ot was water. Jiggled jet ski back and forth on trailer and heard sloshing sound in the intercooler. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Kenny I'm the Watercraft Specialist, who am I speaking to ?

I worked for Kawasaki and did a lot of development work on this ski, I would like to start out with getting your VIN number as there were a few bulletins that I would like to check to make sure they were performed, and then we'll see what you got and then I will go into the likely scenarios that you might be encountering.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the model code, do you have the hull # ***** will start KAW

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm out of town right now and dont have access to that information. If I'm not mistaken 2007 was the first year of production for the Ultra 250x and there was only one model and hull design. Something seems a little "fishy" about your response.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

I understand that was the first year production, I would know that first hand as I was involved in development work on this unit as I did with many Watercraft that Kawasaki produced, there were a lot of issues with this model. I'm not here to give "fishy" responses or maybe ask "fishy" questions as I'm here to give answers that save many people that come here from paying the high priced labor cost that a lot of dealers get for these repairs.

So as I am know on this site as one of the premier Watercraft Specialist especially with Kawasaki brand due to my background, I will opt out of this question and maybe another expert will be able to field your question.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

I will vouch for Kenny. He was working for the Kawasaki factory service department when I was working for Yamaha in their service department. He is the consummate professional and as such knows exactly what information he needs from you to stream line the time frame of diagnosis and repair of your ski. About the only fault Kenny has in dealing with him is he is VERY direct. He knows what he is talking about and will help you, but occasionally in that help, his directness is misinterpreted as him being rude. He just doesn't play games or sugar coat stuff. Forgive him for that and listen to what he says, you will learn a lot. He is not "fishy" in any way and what he is looking for is to find out if your ski was modified at the factory, was modified at a dealer, or has yet to have needed modifications done to it, per service bulletins that more than likely he either wrote was was instrumental in contributing to them. You could not have gotten a more knowledgeable or experienced technician to assist you in the diag and repair of your ski.

Best of Luck,