Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1988 mercury 2 stroke motor with power trim. The

Customer Question

I have a 1988 mercury 2 stroke motor with power trim. The power trim will not lower and I can't find the release screw.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I am trying to lower unit to park it in the garage.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: The boat had 1/2 inch of water in bottom when I pulled the plug.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine model and serial number please? Mercury made allot of 2 stroke motors.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mercury 60 hp, serial number 08396041
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just had the hydraulic lines replaced this spring.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Does this look like your trim unit? Manual release is # ***** Turn screw 3-4 turns counterclockwise. Engine should drop with a little assistance sometimes. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/60-3-cyl/0b122930-thru-0d000749-usa/power-trim-components-s-n-0c160935-below

Once you have loosened the manual release tilt engine to full up position put trailer latch dow to hod engine up. Check fluid level add if needed. Tighten manual release and flip trailer latch off the motor will drop some. Now cycle the trim through the up and down a few times.

Post back with findings and questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the diagram doesn't look right
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok you need to look at you serial number closely as the one you posted is not a good number.

Do you have the square motor on the trim unit?

The manual release valve will be in the same place.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
0B396041, round not square.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok you have the bolt in trim not integral. This engine used to be a manual tilt motor.

Your trim pump is in the boat. If it has a manual tilt release it will be on the bottom of the pump. The know is a knurled knob.

This is your pump correct?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-marine-accessory-parts/trim-tilt-lift-systems-and-components/ob-vol-1-1986-thru-1993/power-trim-assembly-76509a25-a26-page-1

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
this is right.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok lets start with filling the reservoir. Remove the screw blue arrow. Fill with 30 weight motor oil. Now run the trim up and down does the motor trim?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't currently have 30 with motor oil.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That was supposed to say no 30 w motor oil.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok you can use ATF Dexron.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have tc-w3 engine oil, is that ok?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

No that is 2 stroke oil. That won't work at all. 30 weight motor oil is the recommended oil then ATF.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok , I have to go buy some. What would be next step?
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

I went through the procedure with a diagram of the location of the fill screw and the manual release.

Here it is again.

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jacksparrow1956/497f4bed-11dd-4468-b944-baad08885146_maxresdefault.jpg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks
.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Keep me posted to your findings.

Thank you......Tan