Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Yamaha AR190 - removed battery to charge it, replaced

Customer Question

Yamaha AR190 - removed battery to charge it, replaced battery and blew 20amp fuse, replaced fuse and it blew again, replaced with a different battery and another fuse blew it again. This has not happened before today.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The inline fuse is in the engine compartment less than 2 feet away from the battery compartment. There is another inline 15 amp fuse right under it and this one did not blow. Nothing is turned on, can't get passed connecting the battery. Tried every combination of replacing the fuse and then connecting battery, first connecting ground etc.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Boat has not had electrical issues before, I might have cause the initial short when connecting the battery, I since have replaced the blown fuse and know the battery, and other spare battery that I swapped it out with are both working and have been connected carefully and correctly, but the problem still exists. 20 amp fuse still blows as soon as I connect the battery.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Kenny I'm the Yamaha boat expert, who am I speaking to ?

Tell me more about the battery, was this battery completely dead when you went to charge it ?

Also do you have a multi-meter for checking voltage and resistance ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kenny, this is Marc,
Battery is about a year old, charge status tested as "fair" on a scale of low/fair/good so I charged it. I have a spare battery which also caused the 20amp inline fuse to blow when connected. I connected the spare battery without charging it first just to see if I would get the same result. Spare battery is about 3 years old and charge status tested as "fair" when connected. I looked up fuse locations in the owner's manual and after checking I found one other 30amp fuse in the fusebox that was blown. I replaced the 30amp fuse and replaced the inline 20amp fuse and reconnected the battery. The 20amp inline fuse blew again, the 30amp fuse in the fuse box did not blow. I don't have a multimeter but I can probably get one to use. I also checked the circuit breakers per the manual which are located in the dash and glove box, none were tripped.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for that information, having a meter in these cases I a must, I would like you to do some simple checks before we dive in, I'm thinking that this is something relatively easy as you just removed and replaced a battery. If you have any Harbor Freight tool stores close to you they have one there for $7 or Walmart is an option.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was able to get a meter from Walmart, please let me know what checks I should do.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

I want you to check the battery first while in the boat, I'm going to give you a test and perform that, make sure that you get the meter lead connected right on the battery, let me know what you come up with and then we'll move forward from there.

You’ll need a multi-meter and set it to VDC, and since we are only testing the battery (12 volts) you can set it on the scale accordingly.

1. Key off, we need to establish “battery” voltage, take a measurement and record it.

2. Key on, observe the voltage drop with the key on, and record it.

3. Key on, now while observing your meter, attempt to start the engine and observe the voltage drop, and record that. If your meter doesn’t have a peak voltage setting, you might have to do this a few times to get an accurate reading.

Once you get the results, please get back to me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. key off =12.24
2. key on = 12.08
3. attempt to start = 11.89
The engine appears to be ready to turn over, but everything else, blower, bilge, radio, horn etc is dead.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

So when you got to #3 did the engine turn over ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine responded and it sounded like it was about to so I shut it down.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

You are leaving me with very vague answers, so lets try this ?

Will the engine turn over (don't care at this point if it starts) just crank over when the ignition switch goes to the start position ? Either YES or NO ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK, good so the starting side of the electronics are working its just the accessories side, I want to make sure that I grab the correct wiring diagram so if I can get the Hull # ***** will give me the exact model, then I need to go over the diagram and I will get back to you with a list of areas to check, should be pretty simple.