Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have 2007 Chaparral with twin Merc Bravo III out drives. I

Customer Question

I have 2007 Chaparral with twin Merc Bravo III out drives. I just finished the Bravo "itis" conversion issue. my port gear lube reservoir has drained to empty twice on two short trips. not into the bilge. any hints? does this mean a blown seal of sorts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Roger, my name is Jason.

The sterndrive is a sealed unit. The gear lube reservoir acts like a dipstick, telling you if the level of oil is correct or low in the sterndrive. If the level in the reservoir drops, that is only because the sterndrive has a leaking seal, and is loosing oil. There are 2 ways to go about this. The first way is pulling the drive, draining the gear lube, pressure testing the drive, and finding which seal is actually leaking and replace just that 1 seal. Or, just have the whole drive re-sealed. In the shop our standard operating practice is to just re-seal the whole thing.

Do you have any other questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Roger.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me.

Thanks again,