Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Honda 115 outboard year 2014. Starter froze up. Took it out

Customer Question

Honda 115 outboard year 2014. Starter froze up. Took it out and and it had rust and dry dirt on the bendix spring. After lub and cleaning it did not engage when hot wired tested.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 6 months ago.

In order for the starter gear to engage the starter must turn fast enough. If the shaft and gear were rusty and dirty then chances are the inside of the starter is the same way.

Make sure the wires you are using to jump the starter are large enough to carry the load of the starter.

Any automotive alternator/ starter shop can rebuild it or another alternative is an aftermarket starter.

http://www.totalpowerparts.com/p-1748-starter-honda-outboard-bf75-bf90-bf115-bf130.aspx

The starter from Honda is almost $650! I wouldn't mess with it I would recommend replacing it.