Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Was rushing to throw new battery in 2010 bayliner 235

Customer Question

Was rushing to throw new battery in 2010 bayliner 235 without much light and hooked up backwards ignition was off aND key was not in it .... heard a beep sound and disconnected it and hooked correctly but when I turn key now nothing......how much damage did I cause?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

You have blown the fuse down on the starter. # ***** is the fuse. To verify we need to check the voltage on the fuse where the smaller red wire connects. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/static/img/COMMON/9798.gif

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuse #8 was good. I checked all fuses in the fuse box and Fuse #3 was blown. I replaced with good fuse. Still no instruments or beep when I turn ignition switch.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok with your volt meter check the voltage at the circuit breaker on the engine do you have voltage on both terminals. The circuit breaker is the red button or lever on the engine.

Post your engine serial number if you can find the breaker.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Looks like no voltage at terminals. Left terminal facing it I definitely got on right terminal hard to get on with heat shrink but I believe I got on.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Did pushing the button do anything? If you have no voltage on either terminal the fuse at the starter has to be blown. The wire from the fuse on starter goes directly to the circuit breaker.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Checked again. Definitely no voltage on either terminal. Reset the breaker several times and no effect. Which fuse are you referring to?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

The fuse on the starter the one I posted in my first reply. You must check the voltage on the fuse not where the fuse attaches to the starter. The wire under the boot # ***** http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/static/img/COMMON/9798.gif

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok it looks like I misunderstood your first response. I initially checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the main dashboard and found one bad one. I am not exactly sure what fuse #8 /boot #7 you are referring to but I have climbed over the engine and checked all fuses but did not see a boot #7.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

It is on the main terminal of the stater where the battery cable connects to the starter. Do you not see the starter in the diagram I Posted.

Here a pic of the starter with red battery cable connected to the starter the white box is the fuse. http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx335/jhashey/IMG_0282.jpg