Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

2004 searay Sundancer 420 with cummins 6cta. Generator is

Customer Question

2004 searay Sundancer 420 with cummins 6cta. Generator is pulling from the port side tank even with the fuel tank selector switch on the starboard tank. After a few hours run time the starboard tank overflow leaks fuel. Is there another valve somewhere I'm missing/
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

There should be two valves inside that panel in the rear of the boat. One for fuel supply and the other for fuel return. If the generator is plumbed to only get fuel from the port tank, make sure that the return is also set to that tank. This way you will not overflow the stbd tank.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. There is only one valve to choose fuel source not a return. Running main engines they also seem to be pulling from the port side tank only. Both fuel and return valves on each tank are open. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

If you are not drawing any fuel from the Stbd tank, wither something is blocking the valve or you could have a collapsed hose in the fuel line.