Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

Gx235. Prop won't drop electronically Can it be done

Customer Question

Prop won't drop electronically
Can it be done manually
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is this a Glastron boat? Which engine is in the boat?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is the Volvo Penta 5.0 gxi
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My name is***** and we are on Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Okay. The manual way to do this would be to remove the trim cylinders from the rear of the sterndrive. From there you can lift up the drive manually. If you need to trailer it, you would want to get either a "Transom saver" support pole. Or, if the rear cleats in the boat are strong enough, you can tie a rope inbetween the cleats, and then take another rope and wrap that around the sterndrive, and then bring it up to the rope that runs in between the cleats and tie it off there. Does that all make sense to you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not really but it sounds like it is something much more complicated than doing it as we are floating in the boat? We are on the water now and had raised the prop but now it will not lower. Anything we can try from inside the boat?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Uhhh... What model is the sterndrive itself? I need that to know which style trim system is on the boat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will it say what it is some where inside the boat?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

No, it will be on a sticker on the side of the upper unit portion of the sterndrive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can not locate the sticker
It is a GX 235 Glastron
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I have no way of looking his up. Glastron does not keep records of which sterndrive is on the boat. The only way is to look at it and get the numbers off of the sterndrive.

Let me ask you something else. What are you looking to do here? Are you hoping for some kind of quick fix so you can continue to use the boat?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is what we were hoping for. Do you feel that is at all an option?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It's possible, the problem is I would need to know exactly which sterndrive you have. There are 3 common drives that the boat would use, those are SXA, SXM, and DPS. If you have 2 propellers then you have a DPS. But if you have one propeller then you have either an SXA or an SXM, but I would need to know which.

Let me ask you another question, if you hold your ear by the engine (with the engine off) and you have a helper hit the trim down button, can you hear any clicking coming from the trim pump motor, or anyplace inside of the engine compartment?