Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 96 seadoo xp. It just died last year and seadoo

Customer Question

I have a 96 seadoo xp. It just died last year and seadoo dealer told me I need mpem. I got a new mpem and put it in and the start bottom doesn't work. New starting solenoid. I can put the tether in and cross the starter solenoid and it will star but it shuts off 30 sec latter.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

this sounds like you may have two issues. One begin the stat switch, disconnect it and test between the lead with a meter, both with it off and when you are pressing it to start, if you do not see a connection, it is bad. the other may be the kill switch failing after a brief run as the voltage goes through it, causing to to open.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No connection. And I've tryed a new start bottom
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Were you not getting readings on the starter button?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I get 3.9 ohms from the plug for the start button. That is the end coming from the gray box. The end of the start button it's self get .3 ohms when u push the bottom
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Switch sounds good. Make sure that with the kill lanyard installed, you are getting power across all fuses. Just one blown fuse can stop everything.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The one little black box that has one fuse in it does not have any power at the fuse. Power goes into that black box from a purple and blue wire. What is that little black box?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

If you are referring to part 5, it is just a mounting plate. There are two fuses there.

http://www.seadoopartsnation.com/oemparts/a/sea/500d928bf87002090825888c/electrical-box

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I'm side the gray box in Front Of the jet skis. I'll have to check the fuses in the back latter. I forgot about those ones
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

You could be looking at the trim system. Post a pic of it here, and I will tell you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All other fuses have power besides the one that is circled
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

When you install the lanyard, test for power to the purple wire going to that relay ass. Make sure that it is getting 12V.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tested it with a test light last night and it had power. What is that relay control
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

The relay powers up the DC-CDI for the ski. Is everything still stock on this ski?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

run the test on the CDI using section 8 sub section 2 in this link. If it checks good, locate a replacement relay assembly.

http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pdf/service/manuals/1996/1996-seadoo-service-shop-manual.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the was bad wouldn't it not start and run fine?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

depending on what part of it was bad. Totally failed, then yes, the ski would not run at all. but that relay is the key to delivering the power to the system.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
R the 2 red wires on the relay supposed to be hooked together? And the Cdi is new.
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Why would they be unplugged?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They weren't the 2 red wires on that relay r hooked together. Just figured they should be plugged in to something els
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

I didnt see any other reds to connect them to.