Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2005 Optimax XS and it will crank and run but only

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Optimax XS and it will crank and run but only goes to 2000 rpm. It was running fine and suddenly it went to 4000 rpm and then to 2000 rpm and it will not go any higher. I have changed the fuel/air separator but it did not help. The fuel pressure at the injectors is 54 p.s.i.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Michael, my name is Jason.

Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, do you have the serial number on your engine handy?

On your fuel pressure reading, was that made with an accurate gauge? Do you trust that reading?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Serial # ***** Yes we trust the reading.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Fuel pressure is supposed to be 106 to 110 psi. Did you happen to check your air pressure to see if that was low as well?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just rechecked the fuel pump and its not pumping now.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, and sorry for the delay. When you posted back last night I was already off to bed.

Is the fuel pump not turning on at all now?