Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

Our Mercury Optimax 225 throttle box shifter is stuck. When

Customer Question

Our Mercury Optimax 225 throttle box shifter is stuck. When the button is pushed in the handle will move forward and backwards and accelerate the engine. But, when the button is out the handle is locked in neutral and will not move forward or backward.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If you are trying to DIY this what you would do first is remove the throttle and shift cables from the shifter, and see if the shifter handle moves with the cables disconnected or not. Is that something you can do?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply, did you still need help with this?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, just checking in. Were you able to remove the throttle cables from the shifter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are in Baja, we don't have telephone. We think it is in the shifter box. But, we did have the boat tuned up before we brought it down. We have never had trouble with the shifter before. My name is ***** ***** husband is the one who will try what you have suggested. But, he can't get to it until later today. We will write back after we check that out. Can he spray w-d 40 into the shifter crevice?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the first time we have taken it out since it was serviced. Engine runs fine, we just can't put it in gear.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the throttle will accelerate the engine when the button is pressed in and the gear shift is disengaged.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Irene,

This isn't something WD40 can fix. There is either something broken on the engine, inside of the shifter box, or the cables themselves are seized up. What the plan is, is to disconnect the parts from eachother in order to isolate the problem.

Step 1 is to disconnect the cables from the shifter box and then try to move the handle. If you not move it, the shifter is bad and you need a new one. if you can move it move on to step 2

step 2 is disconnect the cables from the engine. Then try to slide the cables back and forth by hand. If you can not move them, the cables are bad. If you can move them move on to step 3

Step 3 is to carefully look at the throttle and shift linkage on the motor. There is going to be some part of that linkage that is either broken, or corroded and sticking.

Does that all make sense to you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we will try all three this afternoon, and let you know. Sounds like a plan.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Sounds good, let me know how you make out.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Irene, just checking in. Any progress?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Irene, any luck so far?