Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 496 that is giving me a double beep about every

Customer Question

I have a 496 that is giving me a double beep about every minute at idle and constant at full throttle then shuts power down. Have good oil pressure temp and voltage. Drive lube is full and coolant.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Have you done any research on your own yet before contacting us about the alarm? Did you have any specific questions about the issue?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Brad. Yea what is alarm for
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Brad,

In your car, if there was a bad sensor on the engine, what the car would do is illuminate the check engine light in order to tell you that there is a sensor malfunction, and that it's time to take the car and get it hooked up to a scan tool in order to scan for codes, and see which sensor is causing the alarm.

On the boat, there isn't a check engine light, but there is an alarm system. The alarm system beeps various patterns such as 1 beep over and over, 2 beeps a minute, 4 beeps a minute, and a solid beep. The 2 beep alarm is equivalent to the car's check engine light. There is a sensor failure on the engine, and you would treat the boat the same way you would treat the car, by getting it hooked up to a scan tool and pull a code to see which sensor is causing the engine. Does that make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any other questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Of course it makes sense. But that doesn't any question. Basically your saying go ask someone else
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

That is not at all what i'm saying. What I'm saying is the engines equivalent of the check engine light is on. You want to know what the alarm meant, the alarm means "check engine"

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm looking for what triggers that alarm sequence
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

The engine would have to be hooked up to a scan tool to pull codes. The only other way to do it would be if the boat is newer than 2001 and has smartcraft gauges. Is the boat newer than 2001, and does it have smart craft gauges?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2008 but no smart gauges. I can't believe I had to pay you for that answer. What a hoax!!
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry but I didn't design this alarm system, are you somehow mad at me personally?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There's a reason for that alarm sequence. All the code readers are proprietary to Mercury. That's why was asking a mechanic. I shuda just called a Mercury tech. This has been useless
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

You are right there is definitely a reason for it. If you like I can give you a copy of the charts. But there are 20+ different reasons the 2 beep alarm will go off. There is no way to tell which of the 20+reasons it is without a scan tool, or the smart craft gauges. Not all code readers are propietery to Mercury either, you can use a Rinda Techmate tool to pull the codes. The techmate runs about 400 bucks vs the 2000 for the mercury system.