Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have an inboard outboard mercury 35o checkmate boat that

Customer Question

I have an inboard outboard mercury 35o checkmate boat that intermittingly beeps twice every few minutes but not all the time
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The warning beeps mostly happen when I first start up the boat after a few minutes. They then happen about every minute two clear beeps and then it stops and then again in a minute or so. Sometimes after I drive the boat at top speed for a ways the beeps stop totally.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: that is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Have you done any research on your own yet about the alarm, or are we your first stop? Did you have any specific questions about the issue, or did you want me to explain the purpose behind the alarm?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is there a known code I can't find my manual and you are the first person I am asking
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This alarm is a distinct two beeps and then at least a minute pause but for the last three times after running the boat at top speed it stops.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Dennis

In your car, if there was a bad sensor on the engine, what the car would do is illuminate the check engine light in order to tell you that there is a sensor malfunction, and that it's time to take the car and get it hooked up to a scan tool in order to scan for codes, and see which sensor is causing the alarm.

On the boat, there isn't a check engine light, but there is an alarm system. The alarm system beeps various patterns such as 1 beep over and over, 2 beeps a minute, 4 beeps a minute, and a solid beep. The 2 beep alarm is equivalent to the car's check engine light. There is a sensor failure on the engine, and you would treat the boat the same way you would treat the car, by getting it hooked up to a scan tool and pull a code to see which sensor is causing the engine. Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay but do you know a way to look up in the manual what the two beeps mean it is distinctive compared to the continuous one beep I have had when the trim lube is low
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no more to add I certainly could have given that answer myself
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry I can't change the outcome. Do you want to quit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

2 beeps is a sensor failure. It can be anyone of the sensors. The scanner is the only way to find out which sensor is bad. The 2 beep is just a general warning that you have a sensor failure. If all sensors had a certain pattern then you wouldn't need a scanner. They used to do it that way with a winky blinky that blinked a certain number of times telling you the problem. Engines are to complicated for that so now you have to put the engine on a scanner for it to tell you the failure.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Here is the warning system alarm codes. As you can see the 2 beep alarm is for allot of different things.