Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

Is a 9.9 mercury a little small crestliner 1852mt jon boat

Customer Question

is a 9.9 mercury a little small for a crestliner 1852mt jon boat
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

It is very small for that boat. The boat is rated for a 40 horsepower engine. Ideally, with any boat, you would always power it with the maximum horsepower allowed, even if you do not always want to go fast all of the time. There is a rule of thumb for minimum horsepower as well. The rule of thumb is you never want to power any boat with less than 70% of it's rated horse power. 40 horsepower is the rating on this boat. So the smallest engine you could mount would be 40 X .70 = 28. There is no such thing as a 28 horsepower engine, so you would simply round up to 30 as being the smallest engine you would want to mount to that boat. Anything less and there are no garuntees of performance. Does that all make sense to you, and do you have any other questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me.

Thanks again,