Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My trim sender button will lower the unit but will not raise

Customer Question

My trim sender button will lower the unit but will not raise it back up, the 2 wires going to the tilt sender on port side are bare and I have just replaced the power trim pump I have a 4.3 Alpha V6 1991 Merc
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Will the drive go up when you use the trailer button?

The wires being bare means that the trim limit switch needs to be replaced. If you tilt the drive all the way down will it come up any when pushing up button or or trailer switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
only with trailer switch
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok the problem is the trim limit switch is bad. It can be bypassed but you will be able to trim the drive all the way up when running the boat. If you know your boat you should know how high to trim it by how it runs. If you want to by pass I can tell you how. Replacing the trim limit switch is a little more involved and it not an easy job.

So let me know how you would like to proceed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do you recommend a do it yourself Alpha/Bravo trim sender kit that goes through the transom if so where can I buy one
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.