Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Mercruiser 4.3l mpi new, alarm beep every so often, no

Customer Question

mercruiser 4.3l mpi new, alarm beep every so often, no pattern to it. NO limits on power and no temps, etc out of line.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: also engine tends to shut off and beep when going to neutral or trying to reverse.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no everything else is fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get engine serial number please?

Is the gear lube monitor for the drive full of gear oil?

Does the engine shift hard or stall going in or out of gear?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2A445111 is the engine serial. The gear lube is full. It does not shift hard no stall going into or out of gear. Just what is explained above with going to neutral it sometimes alarms and stalls. I just took it back out again and the alarm while moving forward is gone. There was no pattern to it other than two beeps every 3-6 minutes while traveling at 30mph. I could not even duplicate the stall going to neutral. The only factor different this time was I was not pulling a tube with kids in it.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

The only thing that will give intermittent alarm is failing sensor, low gear lube.

Now in this statement you say "It does not shift hard no stall going into or out of gear." Then in the next sentence "Just what is explained above with going to neutral it sometimes alarms and stalls"

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not explaining well. It will alarm and stall when going into neutral, just not every time. I will check the gear lube again just to make sure.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

The stalling is caused by the shift interupt switch. Going in to neutral is coming out of for or rev.

If you pull engine out of gear slowly it can stall the engine. When engine stalls it will sound the alarm as you loose oil presure as it turning the key off.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just checked the gear lube again. It was fine but I added some to the top of the band just to be sure. Do you have a link or something I could look at for the stall issue getting into gear? Would like to read more about it please.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

When shifting these engine you have to be positive going into and out of gear. If you ease into gear it can cause stalling and it you pull out of gear slowly it will stall the engine. The shift should be quick. This is the only thing that will cause your issue other than a bad shaft cable.

The reason the alarm sounds is when you shift slowly the interupt switch actually kills the ignition momentarily. If slow shifting it will allow the switch to stay engaged to long causing the stall of engine and the alarm to sound.