Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Yamaha wave runner no spark ran fine last year parked now no

Customer Question

Yamaha wave runner no spark ran fine last year parked for winter now no spark
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Ran fine last year when parked for winter just tried starting and would not start . Put new plug on wire and grounded no spark to either cup while cranking it's a 1999 gp800 yamaha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

One of the more common causes for the no spark symptom has to do with the ending stop switch. You can test this by bypassing the switch. To bypass it, merely unplug it and test for spark. Notice I did not say try to start it because if it does, you will have a hard time getting it shut down with no kill switch.Pull the plugs out of the head, put them back in the spark plug caps and lie them on the head but away from the open spark plug hole. Now, unplug the 2 wire connector going into your handler bars steering tube that has 1 white and 1 black wire in it. With that wire unplugged, check for spark. If you get spark, you can try to clean the switch or you can replace it.

If you need more help, let me know,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok tried that still no spark
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Sounds like we are going to have to go through the ignition system step by step.

Start out by checking the spark plug caps, They should have between 4000 and 6000 ohms resistance.

Then move on to checking the coil. The primary side (orange to black wires) should have between 0.075~0.10 ohms resistance. Since this is so minute, make sure you cross the leads of your meter first and find out what the internal resistance is of the meter. Then subtract the internal resistance of the meter from the resistance you got from your test.

Charge coil resistance is from the brown wire to the blue wire, and should be between 298 and 365 ohms resistance.

Pulser coil resistance is from the white/red wire to the white/black wire and resistance should be between 445 and 544 ohms.

All 4 of those wires should be in the same harness coming from the stator, and the connections are housed in the electrical box.