Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Starts but won't stay running. Rpm doesn't seem to be a

Customer Question

Starts but won't stay running. Rpm doesn't seem to be a factor. Just reading how the "oil pressure switch" be a factor. Trying to find out where it is. 190 hp, six cyl. Volvo Penta I/O
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Just what I just typed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine model number please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4.3L
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's all it says for "model number". Serial number is *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Whoops...bit more 4.3GL-J
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I may try a live call but cell service is so bad at Dick I doubt we can keep it going. I'm up at the house on the Internet.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, that should be "at dock". I you are willing, we can try texting for a bit
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Thank you that's it.

Ok we need to check the green wire coming from the alternator. Once the engine starts the alternator sends voltage to the fuel pump.

We need to check for voltage on the terminal # ***** of the relay when engine starts.

Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

You can also check for voltage at the green wire terminal on the back of the alternator.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Whoops. Ok, I don't know that I have a voltmeter. I will go look (I've not got a lot of tools). Had the alternator replaced when they winterized the boat, trying it for first time yesterday and had the problem. They are too busy to come, since it's Memorial Weekend but when you suspect the (just replaced) alternator wires, I am pissed off beynd belief here. I wonder if they even started/ran the thing.Ok, thank you Tan. I need to find if I have a voltmeter.
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Ok we can do another thing disconnect the green wire from the alternator and touch the green wire to the large terminal of the alternator the fuel pump should run. Does the pump run?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me go down to dock and try
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I need the key on? Or is this all powered by battery?
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Long as the battery is on it will run the pump. The green wire will be in a plug you will have to get a piece of wire to stick in the plug at the green pin then touch the large terminal with the orange wire. You can use a paper clip straightened out to use as a jumper.