Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1962 evinrude 3hp model number 3042B lightwin

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1962 evinrude 3hp model number 3042B lightwin motor. It has been sitting for about 1-2yrs. It ran fine before. So I cleaned out the fuel tank and carburetor and spark plugs and changed the lower unit/prop oil. I tried starting it but no luck. I had the lower unit in a bucket of water when I was trying to start it, I left it in there for about a week until I started messing with it again. But this time the flywheel is locked up? I was thinking since it was in the bucket of water the oil got some water in it or debris got stuck in the gears so I took the lower unit apart and cleaned everything up. Before starting to put everything back together (where I am now) I just tried hand turning the flywheel but it's stillstuck no movement at all, I could be wrong but shouldn't it free up or be able to turn with the drive shaft and lower unit disconnected? What do you suggest? Thank you
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Remove the spark plug spray some wd 40 in the spark plug hole. Now see if you can turn the flywheel. Will flywheel turn now. You might have to use a little force to break it loose.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Tan,
Yes sir, I sprayed some Wd 40 in where the spark plugs go and let it soak in there a couple days. I did that before I took the lower unit off
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Will the flywheel move any in any direction?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But that's why I so confused because it turned fine before I let it sit that week in the water
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok what we need to do next is remove the cylinder head and inspect the cylinders.

If the engine ran hot or the head gasket leaks the cylinders could have water in them. This will cause the cylinders to rust.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay I'll go do that right now
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok keep me posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What's the best way to get to injectors? Do I need to take off flywheel or can I get around that?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

This engine doesn't have injectors.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Excuse me I meant cylinders
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay did it, I sent an picture
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok those cylinders look pretty nasty. From what I can see. Get a block of wood and a hammer use the block of wood to put on the top of the piston. Now with the hammer start tapping the block of wood. Is the piston moving? Do this on both cylinders alternating. Do the pistons move?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay I'll try. I know the piston is#53,55 on the diagram you sent but how to I access them?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

You will have to remove the engine from the driveshaft housing then split the crankcase halves. Then unbolt the pistons from the crankshaft and pull pistons out.

Now you can get to the sides of the pistons by removing the exhaust covers on the sides of the engine. To physically get to the complete piston you have to do the complete disassembly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Keep me posted.

Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra cost on this subject even after rating.

Thank you........Tan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Tan,
Before I ask another question, I tried reading on this site on charges. When I payed before our conversation does that cover our entire conversation or will I get charged if I ask another question? (Pertaining to the same motor/subject)
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

No charge for the same subject. Ask away.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Okay so I started taking some more things apart. I took the air silencer off and the plate that it screws onto. So now I can see the side of the two Pistons, it looks to me like the pistons are gummed up so I stood the motor upright (Pistons facing towards the ceiling) and sprayed some wd40 in the two cylinder hoping to free them up. Hasn't seemed to work yet. I could be wrong but it seems like I'll have to take everything apart in order to get to the backside of the Pistons? Or do you suggest something else
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Have you tried the piece of wood and a hammer to knock on the top of the pistons. See if the motor will break loose.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you say top are you referring to the end where the two dimples are where the spark plugs screw into?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Top of the piston the bottom of the piston will be where the connecting rod attaches to the piston. Yes where the dimple is.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, yeah I hit them a little. Just not much, wasn't sure how aggressive I could get. So should Pistons work back and forth fairly easy when motors are working properly?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Yes. You are going to have to bang on the piston eventually to get them out of the cylinder. So I would try knocking the pistone loose.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thank you for your help. I'll try that
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok keep me posted.