Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a Merc 9.8 serial # 7151135 and it will not tip up

Customer Question

I have a Merc 9.8 serial #(###) ###-####and it will not tip up from trolling position. It will not unlatch?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The Thunderbolt 4 module has a black wire that comes out of it that is the ground wire. You can attach it to any good ground. Over the years they changed the actual ground point. Sometimes it was grounded at the distributor, other times it was grounded at the exhaust elbow. But it can be grounded anyplace there is a good clean ground. Does that make sense to you?

Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

the item to unlock the tilt is part 20 in the diagram. It will be located just to the inside of the left clamp bracket when facing the engine. Press it down, and you should be able to tilt the engine up.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/9.8/7127388%20AND%20UP/SWIVEL%20BRACKET%20ASSEMBLY/parts.html