Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Volvo Penta TAMD 41p I have Lenco trim tabs which

Customer Question

i have a Volvo Penta TAMD 41p I have Lenco trim tabs which work intermittently and when they don't work the test bilge alarm does not work Having trouble with isolating the problem
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Engine indicator lights did not come on all the time trim tabs would not come on when engine started but would come on later Intermittent working of the trim tabs Replaced the started battery and things worked for awhile
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Same condition at upper helm station
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

You have a corroded or loose connection in the wiring. Since it is affecting more than one components I would look for a bad grouind. These 2 components won't be on the same circuit if the boast is wired correctly. Leaving the common between the 2 as the ground. The ground is the only part of all the circuits that is common to all.

If the trim tabs and bilge alarm aren't working now we can do some checks. Do you have a hand held volt meter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not currently on the boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok well when you get time and have a meter and the components are acting up post back and we can try to find the problem. But I would definitely check all the grounds.