Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I changed the cap and rotor on my 5.7 liter mercruiser, and

Customer Question

I changed the cap and rotor on my 5.7 liter mercruiser, and now it will not fire. I believe I crossed the wires somehow, how can I correct this issue. I don't know where they belong???!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I have a broken wire on the alternator. It broke some point last season. I notice that engine was not running as well as the other one. I had to compensate a lot to get them in sync. Would the broken wire have anything to do with that?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

What wires do you think you crossed?

The engine would pop or spit do something even if the wires were wrong. What you need to check is for voltage to the ignition coil. Do you have voltage at the purple wire key on?