Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Oil leaks from bottom of oil pump : oil is dripping from the

Customer Question

oil leaks from bottom of oil pump
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: oil is dripping from the bottom of oil pump on a 1995 mercury elpto 50. it is not coming from hose connection.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I have the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

There are 2 o-rings # ***** & 20 behind the pump. Pull the pump off replace the o-rings.

If the pump still leaks you will have to replace the pump. You have already eliminated the oil hoses. The pump is not serviceable. The pump can only leak from the hoses the shaft of the pump arm or the o-ring where it mounts to the engine.

Here is the link to the oil pump.

Post back if you need further assistance.