Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1991 mercruiser 200/5.0L 2bbl GM 305 V8 and need

Customer Question

I have a 1991 mercruiser 200/5.0L 2bbl GM 305 V8 and need wiring assistance. Alternator orange wire goes to the starter slave solenoid. At starter, there are 2 red wires, 1 orange wire and 1 pur/red wire.
Need help.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The reds and the orange go to the large terminal A of the start solenoid along with battery cable.

The purple/red goes on the left side terminal D of the start solenoid.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Tan,It makes sense as I have seen that on many online schematics. However, the orange wire does not come straight from the alternator. The orange wire runs from the alternator to the starter slave solenoid and then from there to the starter. Is that setup okay? Additionally, there is an ignition solenoid on my engine and I smoked it today when hooking up wires to starter. Maybe I can send you pictures of what I have so you can better identify and review.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

That is set up wrong but it will work. Long as the alternator voltage gets to the battery.

Yes please send pics I don't know of any ignition solenoid.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is one of the pics showing starter slave solenoid and ignition coil solenoid. Will have to send more of starter tomorrow
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

The purple needs to be a ground wire. The orange needs to be connected to the red wire on the solenoid.

This solenoid is the primary start solenoid. It has nothing to do with ignition.

Post the other pic when you get a chance.

Here is the diagram.