Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My smart craft SC 1000 is going up and down , gph ext. What

Customer Question

My smart craft SC 1000 is going up and down for tach, gph ext. What might be the problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

How does the engine sound when this is going on with the tach?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Serial 1b906825. Engine sounds great but the gauges have been going crazy. The gph at idle run up and down as does the rpm s and the depth. Could thisbe a low voltage situation?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The gauges on the dash all seem to be fine. There is a code stl1 that comes up but nothing in manual.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Is that code on the tach?

Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Are you getting any beeps along with that code?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No beeps. Thanks smart craft screen comes up stl1. Could it be that it needs to be reset to factory settings?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

I have never sen or heard of a code coming up as that. Even on this new engine. I have the full code set for it right here with me. The first thing that I feel that you should look at is the fuse holder on the engine and make sure that they are all good. Then look at all grounds on the engine and in the helm. The gauge should be connected to a junction box, so disconnect the connections to make sue that they are clean and tight. After you have completed this, please let me know if it is corrected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the manual also, which is why I was looking for a Merc tech. Guess
I will keep trying with call to Mercury. Have a good Holiday
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Alright. they may want you to take it in and have the PCM reflashed. that can only be done at a certified dealer. the best number to call is(###) ###-#### ***** the engine serial number handy, as they will ask for it.

Have yourself a great holiday weekend.