Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Is this a free service? : So what do I do....list the

Customer Question

Is this a free service?
JA: The Marine Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: So what do I do....list the problem first or what?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: OK ...
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: O I have RAYMARINE RL70C with main unit in cabin and all works fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you

How is it that I may assist you with the unit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have repeater RAYMARINE RL70C Pathfinder in binnacle on deck. First use this year and the screen remains virtually blank apart from a few feint coloured lines.
The primary unit in the saloon works perfectly both Chartplotter and radar. I suspect dampness in connections, any ideas?
If so how do you remove the apparently sealed unit at the binnacle....the only way in seems to be to remove the two screws where the "C Map" cartridges fit.
I have asked for a refund as I thought this was a scam. If you can give any help I will cancel request for refund.
Best wishes
David Crouch
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I assume you work to US time and so the response will be later in my day...Clearly telephone is not a viable option. Can you please let me know where you,are based as I can factor in true time differences.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've answered one of my questions ....there were four small screws where the C Map cartridges would fit.....I removed them but still no access to be able to remove the unit. Also the binnacle is sealed and no access from the rear.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello David. Yes I am in the USA, in the Central time zone.

In order for you to get to the connections on the back of the unit, you are going to need to get behind it. This chartploter may have not been installed at the plant where the boat was made, so there has to be an access somehow. If you have a large gauge cluster that is on a screwed in panel, that may need to come out. The RL70 will be bolted in from the rear of it, not the front. Can you try and upload a pic here of the installation, perhaps I will see something to gain you access.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The binnacle is in two halves and despite carefully reading instructions how to send photo they are ambiguous and not at all clear.
If we assume I gain access can you give me an idea of what I need to check and whether corrosion at terminals is the most likely culprit on this 11 year old boat) .
If you let me have a different email address I'll happily send photo!
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Corrosion is a very likely possibility on a unit that is exposed to the elements. You will also want to check the connections on the back of he salon unit as well.

You can email your pics to***@******.***. Tell them that you are working with me on this question, and they will forward them to me.